I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. comprises||B. couches||C. misses||D. tomatoes|
|A. derive||B. conical||C. wildlife||D. primary|
|A. species||B. benefit||C. essential||D. generation|
|A. industry||B. result||C. current||D. vulnerable|
|A. extinction||B. extension||C. exploitation||D. expression|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. habitat||B. extend||C. numerous||D. corridor|
|A. difficult||B. important||C. survival||D. endanger|
|A. habitat||B. sociable||C. priority||D. wildlife|
|A. reserve||B. derive||C. conserve||D. fertile|
|A. mosquito||B. gorilla||C. giraffe||D. elephant|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. _____ water covers about 70 percent of the Earth’s surface.
|A. A||B. An||C. The||D. Ø|
2. Deserts take _____ one-third of the Earth’s land surface.
|A. on||B. up||C. over||D. after|
3. She is unreliable. What she says _____ be believed.
|A. may not||B. must not||C. might not||D. cannot|
4. Andrew has a piano _____ he plays it so badly.
|A. and||B. so||C. but||D. therefore|
5. The hill was so _______ that it took us more than five hours to climb up.
|A. sloping||B. enormous||C. arid||D. stable|
6. The legs of this table are broken. It _____ during the move.
|A. should have been damaged||B. needn’t be damaged|
|C. must have been damaged||D. ought not to be damaged|
7. They’ve got our information already. We _____ introduce ourselves to them.
|A. needn’t||B. must||C. mustn’t||D. need|
8. Plants and animals are responsible _____ a variety of useful medications.
|A. for||B. to||C. at||D. on|
9. A _____ is a special animal that can live in deserts and carry things for people.
|A. deer||B. camel||C. parrot||D. ox|
10. Being listed as an endangered species can have a negative effect since it could make a species more desirable for collectors and poachers.
|A. awareness||B. preservation||C. support||D. impact|
IV. Supply the correct form of the verbs.
1. He (not finish) _____ the report yet.
2. Don’t worry! Your parents (call) _____ you soon.
3. At nine o’clock last night, I (practice) _____ drawing.
4. The summer vacation (last) _____ 3 months, right?
5. As I (walk) _____ down the street, I (see) _____ an accident.