I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. photos||B. social||C. record||D. chose|
|A. weather||B. mother||C. rather||D. youth|
|A. plenty||B. hype||C. only||D. aunty|
|A. delay||B. mention||C. behave||D. deliver|
|A. sweater||B. sweet||C. answer||D. sweep|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. Which phone is _____?
|A. your||B. your phone||C. you||D. yours|
2. The problem _____ never occurred.
|A. I hadn’t expected it||B. who I had expected|
|C. I had expected||D. that I had expected it|
3. The boy _____ I lent my money is miserable.
|A. to whom||B. to who||C. to that||D. whom|
4. Many scientists have claimed that _____ like numbers are often good at Math.
|A. kids||B. kids who||C. kids whom||D. whose kids|
5. What exactly is the influence of air pollution _____ human beings?
|A. on||B. with||C. to||D. for|
6. Airplanes _____ in the twentieth century is one of the sources of pollution.
|A. which invented||B. to invent|
|C. invented||D. that is invented|
7. One of the people _____ I admire the most in the world is my mother.
|A. that||B. which||C. whose||D. of them|
8. William Samuel Johnson, _____ helped write the Constitution, became the first president of Columbia College in 1187.
|A. whom he had||B. who had|
|C. and he had||D. had|
9. There should be some measures to protect the humpback whale, _____ an endangered species?
|A. to consider||B. considered||C. consider||D. in considered|
10. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined one.
– Your EMS mail will be delivered in the shortest possible time.
|A. European Monetary System||B. Enhanced Messaging Service|
|C. Express Mail Service||D. Emergency Mail Service|
III. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. She is (A) so excited (B) to allow to sing (C) for (D) this party.
2. Everyone (A) know (B) that smoking affects (C) their health (D).
3. The piece (A) of wood (B) was (C) not enough strong (D).
4. The fans (A) on the second floor (B) can replaced (C) the new ones (D).
5. We will contact with (A) you again when (B) our manager (C) confirms (D) the date.
IV. Read the passage and choose the best answer to each question.
In spite of all warnings, we are still not looking after our planet. Look what is happening to our forests. We are cutting them _____ (1) at an alarming rate. If we keep on doing this, many animals and plants will _____ (2) extinct. Rare _____ (3), such as the mountain gorilla, are already in _____ (4). More will follow. Forests are important for another reason, too. They help to slow the rate of global warming. Trees soak up gases like carbon dioxide, which are given _____ (5) by power stations and factories. They also produce oxygen and act as the lungs of the world.
|A. up||B. in||C. of||D. down|
|A. go||B. get||C. become||D. result|
|A. species||B. tribes||C. races||D. specialty|
|A. threat||B. danger||C. fact||D. troubles|
|A. off||B. up||C. out||D. over|