I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. character||B. chemical||C. chaos||D. champagne|
|A. nation||B. tourist||C. study||D. return|
|A. tomatoes||B. species||C. removes||D. features|
|A. doubt||B. lamb||C. club||D. bomber|
|A. protected||B. destroyed||C. played||D. threatened|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. This dress _____ especially for me by a French tailor.
|A. is made||B. has made||C. made||D. was made|
2. The body needs a fresh supply _____ Vitamin C every day.
|A. in||B. of||C. for||D. with|
3. Sperm whale populations are at risk due to hunting.
|A. in extinction||B. in danger||C. on the decrease||D. in fewness|
4. Could you talk _____? – Everyone is trying to sleep.
|A. more quiet||B. quieter than||C. more quietly||D. quiet|
5. Why are you so late?
– I _____ my younger sister to school. The traffic was bad.
|A. could take||B. must have taken||C. should take||D. had to take|
6. Have you ever played baseball?
– Yes, we _____ all the time when I was in university.
|A. would have played||B. had played|
|C. used to play||D. have played|
7. The rules of the game will be announced _____ next week.
|A. office||B. official||C. officially||D. officer|
8. Minh Anh is an excellent dancer. She _____ since she was six.
|A .has been dancing||B. has been danced|
|C. has danced||D. was danced|
9. If you _____ us about the bad service, we wouldn’t have eaten there.
|A. didn’t tell||B. have told||C. hadn’t told||D. had told|
10. Tom is used to _____ after school every day. He doesn’t have to walk home.
|A. picking up||B. being picked up||C. be picked up||D. pick up|
III. Choose one option that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
Dolphins are known as cesareans or marine (1) _____. They breathe air, they are warm-blood, and they bear live young ones called (2) _____. The size of dolphins varies greatly. The smallest dolphin is just about 50 kg in weight and 1.2 meters in length (3) _____ the largest one can weigh up to 8,200 kg and is 10 meters long. Dolphins are sociable creatures. They swim together in a group known as (4) _____. They show great ability in the water and you can often (5) _____ them playing (6) _____ ships.
Dolphins are interested in humans and often rescue people in the sea (7) _____ are in danger. They are intelligent creatures and make sounds to (8) _____ with each other. Scientists have studied dolphins (9) _____ many years and are now looking into the possibility of dolphins (10) _____ able to carry out tasks under the sea.
|A. fish||B. creatures||C. mammals||D. life|
|A. babies||B. calves||C. young||D. diets|
|A. when||B. as||C. while||D. since|
|A. currents||B. flocks||C. herds||D. schools|
|A. look down||B. come across||C. run after||D. go by|
|A. around||B. on||C. in||D. next|
|A. which||B. they||C. when||D. who|
|A. talk||B. contact||C. communicate||D. connect|
|A. for||B. since||C. in||D. during|
|A. be||B. being||C. are||D. that are|
IV. Identify the one word or phrase A, B, C or D that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
1. It’s his wish that the money should to be given to charity.
|A. It’s||B. wish||C. to be||D. to|
2. We can’t go out because of the big rain last night.
|A. can’t||B. go out||C. because of||D. big|
3. Storms has caused considerable damage to this city.
|A. Storms||B. has caused||C. considerable||D. this city|
4. The children are only allowed watching television on Sundays.
|A. The children||B. only||C. watching||D. on Sundays|
5. That pottery was found by an archaeologist while she was worked in this area.
|A. was||B. found||C. while||D. was worked|