I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. tubs||B. solutions||C. phones||D. tents|
|A. watched||B. rushed||C. assumed||D. missed|
|A. walks||B. types||C. begins||D. helps|
|A. jumped||B. called||C. explained||D. arrived|
|A. family||B. parents||C. happy||D. frankly|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. solution||B. candidate||C. composer||D. decision|
|A. upon||B. champion||C. beauty||D. devote|
|A. suitable||B. confidence||C. responsible||D. secondary|
|A. concern||B. cancer||C. teacher||D. crowded|
|A. diverse||B. schedule||C. leftover||D. meatball|
III. Complete the sentences with the correct form of tense of the verbs in brackets.
1. It was the first time we _____ (drink) beer at the bar.
2. The boss _____ (come) into the office just as they _____ (have) snacks.
3. That’s the first time I _____ (see) Amy look embarrassed.
4. It was hot that employees _____ (put) on shorts and a T-shirt at work.
5. Since he _____ (have) a new job at the bank, he _____ (not have) a day off in spite of illness.
IV. Put the following sentences into indirect speech.
1. “Put down your hands,” the teacher said to us.
=> The teacher told us ______________.
2. “My father likes having tea,” she said.
=> She said that ____________________.
3. “How do you travel to work?” she asked.
=> She asked me ___________________.
4. They said “We will go to Ha Long bay tomorrow.”
=> They said that ___________________.
5. “Has your sister worked there since 2012?” He asked.
=> He asked _______________________.