I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. attitude||B. decorate||C. apartment||D. loyalty|
|A. decrease||B. secret||C. double||D. bullet|
|A. generous||B. suspicious||C. constancy||D. sympathy|
|A. sorrow||B. mutual||C. pursuit||D. influence|
|A. extremely||B. unselfish||C. attraction||D. humorous|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. honor||B. how||C. home||D. horn|
|A. invite||B. admire||C. distribute||D. increase|
|A. machine||B. change||C. teacher||D. choose|
|A. good||B. gossip||C. game||D. geometry|
|A. condition||B. option||C. suggestion||D. relation|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. You had better _____ in your bed.
|A. staying||B. stay||C. to stay||D. stays|
2. It was 2 am yesterday. It _____ very heavily.
|A. rains||B. rained||C. had rained||D. was raining|
3. I _____ a cup of coffee after I _____ breakfast.
|A. had drunk/ finished||B. were drinking/ finished|
|C. drank/ finished||D. drank/ had finished|
4. When his boss _____ to see him, he _____.
|A. come/ isn’t working||B. had come/ didn’t work|
|C. came/ wasn’t working||D. were coming/ hadn’t worked|
5. _____ good ice cream, you need to use a lot of cream.
|A. Make||B. Making||C. To make||D. For make|
6. A person or a thing that is loved and admired very much is the _____.
|A. ideal||B. idol||C. idea||D. fan|
7. They _____ good friends, but they’ve fallen out recently.
|A. used to be||B. would be||C. were||D. are|
8. A paper with many colors and line drawings that is hung on the wall is called a _____.
|A. picture||B. clip||C. news||D. cartoon|
9. The new students hoped to be included _____ many of the school’s social activities.
|A. in||B. at||C. about||D. on|
10. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– Kids often receive gifts from their birthdays.
|A. candles||B. candy||C. cards||D. presents|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. By the time (A) she is twenty-four (B), she had graduated (C) from university (D).
2. Whatever happened (A), I didn’t want (B) to lose (C) friendship of (D) Jim.
3. I enjoy (A) to be(B) invited (C) to Trinh’s (D) birthday party.
4. I spent (A) most of the time (B) on the bus listen (C) to my favorite songs (D).
5. The ball break (A) the window when (B) I was watering (C) the flowers yesterday morning (D).