I. Choose the best answer.
1. I _____ go by myself. You _____ wait for me.
|A. should/ can’t||B. have to/ must||C. can/ needn’t||D. might/ mustn’t|
2. You _____ forget to pay the electric bill tomorrow.
|A. needn’t||B. needn’t||C. don’t have to||D. may not|
3. Many medicines are derived _____ plants and animals.
|A. from||B. for||C. on||D. in|
4. The desert _____ for endless miles on all sides of us.
|A. developed||B. reached||C. comprised||D. stretched|
5. He had led an _____ expedition of the Pacific Ocean.
|A. explore||B. exploring||C. exploration||D. exploratory|
6. You cannot see the doctor _____ you make an appointment with him.
|A.even so||B. unless||C. however||D. without|
7. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
|A. desert||B. system||C. device||D. petrol|
8. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. machine||B. cheap||C. chatter||D. branch|
9. The Simpson Desert was named _____ the President of the South Australian Branch of the Royal Geographical Society of Australia.
|A. for||B. to||C. as||D. after|
10. Choose the part that needs correcting.
– A new student (A) needs to learn how to get (B) along with another (C) students and how to spend (D) his or her time wisely.
II. Fill in the blank with so, but, therefore and however.
1. The storm was strong outside _____ it was warm indoor.
2. The road was under construction _____ we had to go back.
3. Mary was going to study all night _____ she refused our invitation to dinner.
4. You could use the calculator to solve; _____ this isn’t the only way.
5. Cars have become much more complicated; _____ mechanics need more training than in the past.