I. Choose the word that best answers.
1. What are your plans for _____ next year?
|A. a||B. an||C. Ø||D. the|
2. Parents’ arguments contribute significantly _____ children’s learning.
|A. on||B. to||C. for||D. in|
3. The recent economic crisis has brought _____ a slump in world trade.
|A. about||B. in||C. over||D. out|
4. _____ the wet weather, all the students joined the school event.
|A. Although||B. Owing to||C. In spite of||D. But for|
5. Nobody knows what the future is going to be. Things may happen _____.
|A. expected||B. unexpected||C. expectedly||D. unexpectedly|
6. The baby was told to eat all his food _______ he wouldn’t get the robot.
|A. in case||B. or else||C. instead||D. in fact|
7. _____ I forgot my money for the bus at home, I had to walk all the way home.
|A. As||B. Although||C. While||D. When|
8. Within _____ few years, _____ private space travel has gone from concept to reality.
|A. Ø/ an||B. the/ the||C. the/ a||D. a/ Ø|
II. Fill in each blank with the correct preposition.
1. The train will leave _____ a few minutes.
2. Fruit trees generally bloom _____ April or May
3. Our house is _____ the woods, the river and the village.
4. Lisa’s birthday is _____ the end of July, _____ July 29.
5. I worked for that company _____ four years, _____ 2002 _____ 2006.