I. Choose the best answer.
1. Choose the word that has the main stress placed differently from the others.
|A. reminder||B. burial||C. prohibit||D. memento|
2. Choose the word that has the main stress placed differently from the others.
|A. satellite||B. artificial||C. heritage||D. ancient|
3. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
|A. jumped||B. repaired||C. viewed||D. named|
4. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
|A. suggest||B. century||C. upon||D. bury|
5. _____ to be the richest man in the world.
|A. Bill Gates||B. Bill Gates says|
|C. Bill Gates is||D. Bill Gates is said|
6. Choose the part that needs correcting.
– John are said to be preparing an interview for studying abroad.
|A. are||B. to be||C. preparing||D. studying|
7. Mexico city is one of _____ biggest city in the world.
|A. the||B. these||C. a||D. X|
8. When a pharaoh died, he was _____ in his pyramid.
|A. carried||B. hidden||C. dug||D. buried|
9. The old man is said _____ all his money to the charity when he died.
|A. have donated||B. to donate||C. to donated||D. to donating|
10. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the famous man-made wonders of the world.
|A. modern||B. artificial||C. natural||D. internal|
II. Read the following passage and choose the best answers.
One of the most famous monuments in the world, the Statue of Liberty, was presented to the United States of America in the nineteenth century by the people of France. The great statue, which was designed by the sculptor Auguste Bartholdi, took ten years to complete. The actual figure was made of copper supported by a metal framework which had been especially constructed by Eiffel. Before it could be transported to the United States, a site had to be found for it and a pedestal had to be built. The site chosen was an island at the entrance of New York Harbor.
By 1884, a statue which was 151 feet tall had been erected in Paris. The following year, it was taken to pieces and sent to America. By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi. Ever since then, the great monument has been a symbol of liberty for the millions of people who have passed through New York Harbor to make their homes in America.
1. The Statue of Liberty _____.
|A. is among the most famous monuments in the world||B. is the most famous in the world|
|C. was designed and constructed by the American sculptors||D. is located in the center of New York|
2. The Statue of Liberty _____.
|A. was sent to America in 1884||B. was never sent to America|
|C. was sent to America in 1885||D. was sent to America in 1886|
3. The Statue of Liberty _____.
|A. was sold to the USA by the French people||B. was given to the American people as a present by the French people|
|C. was presented to the USA in the 18th century by the people of France||D. was designed and constructed according to the order placed|
4. The Statue of Liberty was first erected _____.
|A. in Eiffel Tower||B. on an island|
|C. in New York||D. in Paris|
5. The Statue of Liberty was made of _____.
|A. copper with mental framework||B. concrete with metal framework|
|C. concrete||D. copper|