I. Choose the best answer.
1. Choose the word that has the main stress placed differently from the others.
|A. scientist||B. president||C. engineer||D. astronaut|
2. Choose the word that has the main stress placed differently from the others.
|A. extreme||B. success||C. appoint||D. challenge|
3. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
|A. stead||B. steam||C. scream||D. creak|
4. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
|A. rooms||B. chopsticks||C. doors||D. keys|
5. You sent the letter, _____?
|A. do you||B. don’t you||C. didn’t you||D. did you|
6. She never helps her mom with housework, _____?
|A. doesn’t she||B. does she||C. hasn’t she||D. won’t she|
7. Somebody put my bottle away, _____?
|A. didn’t they||B. did they||C. don’t they||D. didn’t she|
8. The film I watched last night was so _____ that I turned it off.
|A. bored||B. bore||C. boring||D. to bore|
9. _____ he didn’t prepare for the exam, he passed.
|A. Because of||B. In spite of||C. Because||D. Although|
10. My teacher told me to watch movies in English _____ improve English better.
|A. so as||B. so that||C. in order that||D. in order to|
II. Read the following passage and choose the best answers.
(1934 – 1968)
Yuri Gagarin was born in Klushino near Gzhatsk, a region west of Moscow, Russia, on March 9, 1934. He was a Soviet cosmonaut who in 1961 became the first person in space and the first human to orbit the Earth. The adjacent town of Gzhatsk was renamed Gagarin in 1968 in his honor.
Yuri Gagarin’s parents worked on a collective farm. His mother was reportedly a voracious reader, and his father was a skilled carpenter. He was the third of four children in his family. Gagarin’s teacher described him as intelligent and hard-working.
After starting an apprenticeship in metalwork as a foundryman, Gagarin was selected for further training at a high technical school in Saratov. While there, he joined the “AeroClub” and learned how to fly a light aircraft. In 1955, after completing his technical schooling, he entered military flight training at the Orenburg Pilot’s school. While there he met Valentina Goryacheva, whom he married in 1957, after gaining his pilot’s wing in a Mig-15.
In 1960, an extensive search and selection process saw Yuri Gagarin, as one of 20 cosmonauts, selected for the Soviet space program. Out of the 20 selected, the eventual choices for the first launch were Gagarin and Gherman Titov, because of their excellent performance in training, as well as their physical characteristics. On April 12, 1961, Gagarin became the first human to travel into space in Vostok 3KA-2 (Vostok 1). He lost his life in a training accident on March 27, 1968.
1. Where was Yuri Gagarin born?
|A. In Gzhatsk||B. In Klushino||C. In Moscow||D. In Saratov|
2. What did his father do?
|A. A reader||B. A teacher||C. A carpenter||D. A pilot|
3. What did he do after completing his technical schooling?
|A. He learned how to fly a light aircraft.||B. He entered military flight training at the Orenburg Pilot’s School.|
|C. He joined the “AeroClub”.||D. He married Valentina Goryacheva.|
4. The word “eventual” in paragraph 4 could be best replaced by _____.
|A. final||B. daily||C. second||D. annual|
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Yuri Gagarin?
|A. He was the third of four children in his family.||B. He was the first human to travel into space.|
|C. He was one of 20 cosmonauts selected for the Soviet space program.||D. He died in 1968 because of lung cancer.|