I. Choose the best answer.
1. Choose the synonym of the underlined phrase.
– They turned down my proposal, which made me upset.
|A. refused||B. agreed||C. accepted||D. submitted|
2. There is no food left. Someone must have eaten it _____.
|A. out||B. up||C. off||D. along|
3. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. dedicated||B. appealed||C. derived||D. survived|
4. On July 20, 1969, Astronaut Neil Armstrong _____ down onto the moon.
|A. was stepping||B. stepped||C. has stepped||D. was stepped|
5. They are appealing _____ local businesses for sponsorship money.
|A. in||B. at||C. on||D. to|
6. The British government has now suspended _____ aid to the area.
|A. human||B. humane||C. humanistic||D. humanitarian|
7. The host country, Laos, is expected to announce official sports for the 25th SEA Games _____ November 2008.
|A. in||B. on||C. during||D. from|
8. When they _____ for the beach, the sun was shining but by the time they arrived it had clouded over.
|A. left out||B. went of||C. set off||D. moved up|
9. Choose the synonym of the underlined phrase.
– An international medical conference initiated by Davison resulted in the birth of the League of Red Cross Societies in 1991.
|A. begun||B. started||C. helped||D. A & B correct|
10. Choose the part that needs correcting.
– Windsurfing, which (A) is a water sport combining (B) elements of surfing and sailing first developed (C) in the United States in 1968 and also called (D) boardsailing.
II. Fill in the blank with one word.
1. “Nothing is complicated. _____ down!
2. I’ve _____ weight. My pants don’t fit anymore.
3. There’s an intersection ahead. Please _____ down.
4. It was a small fire and I _____ it out with a bucket of water.
5. “What happened to your sister?” “I don’t know, but I’m going to _____ out.”