I. Choose the word that best completes each sentence.
1. How many members are there in _____ team?
|A. a||B. an||C. the||D. Ø|
2. New Zealand _____ 1,000 miles southeast of Australia.
|A. lies about||B. is lain||C. is lying||D. is laid about|
3. Which subject is this book _____?
|A. for||B. of||C. on||D. up|
4. Sometimes it is _____ to ask for help.
|A. difficulties||B. difficulty||C. difficultly||D. difficult|
5. It is a good book. I think it is interesting enough for you to _____.
|A. swallow||B. understand||C. look up||D. put down|
6. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
|A. expedition||B. information||C. incredible||D. optimistic|
7. When you are on duty, your uniform must _____ at all times.
|A. wear||B. be wear||C. be worn||D. be wearing|
8. The first water polo rules were set _____ by William Wilson in 1876.
|A. in||B. out||C. of||D. up|
9. Choose the part that needs correcting.
– I am the (A) first in the discussion (B) objecting (C) to use (D) the nuclear power.
10. I shouldn’t _____ so much coffee last night. I was wide awake till four in the morning.
|A. drink||B. drank||C. be drunk||D. have drunk|
II. Put the following into passive voice.
1. You must water these plants every day.
2. We will have to tow the car to the garage.
3. You shouldn’t wash this shirt by washing machine.
4. She must return those books back to the library on time.
5. I ought to have reported the accident to the police.